Wednesday, February 21, 2018

Heirloom Audio Productions: Wulf the Saxon (Audio Adventure Review)

  


Heirloom Audio Productions, as you should know by now if you've read my blog for any length of time, puts out an incredibly high-quality series of Audio Dramas utilizing the works of G. A. Henty. In the past, my Middlest has been the main audience for these CD's, but this time around I brought along the newest offering, Wulf the Saxon Audio CD, with me to keep me company on one of my 7+ hour road trips to pick up my Eldest from college.


The actors are all highly regarded in their field on stage and screen, including Brian Blessed (Star Wars, Tarzan, King Lear), Chris Larkin (Master and Commander, Valkyrie), Helen George (Call the Midwife), Jack Farthing (Poldark), Sian Phillips (I, Claudius), and Patrick Godfrey (Les Miserables, Ever After). The Soundtrack Score by Emmy Award Winning Composer John Campbell only adds to the compelling telling of a heroic tale of bravery and honor as we meet Wulf the Saxon. 


The two and a half hours I spent listening to this story sped by rapidly, as I journeyed through England and France while driving through New Jersey and Pennsylvania. This tale of battle and bravery will likely be long connected with the hills and folds of the land I traveled, as I imagined them taking place where I drove.

I don't know how your High Medieval British history is, but mine always does better with a little brush-up of "story" to help me hang my hat on some of the details, and if that works for me, I'm thinking it works for our kids as well. My main brush with a timeline of English facts dates back to my high school English Composition class, which really was a History of England class, disguised as a literature class (our final was to fill out a timeline, and it wasn't all literary...), so I appreciate when I have the opportunity to add facts that will help my memory.

This story follows the adventures of Wulf, a young Saxon landowner, as he learns to care for his land, his people, and his country. It highlights the relationships of the warring English amongst themselves and also to the Normans. There were those within each country as well as across borders that were friendly and others which were treacherous.

Wulf grows from a cheeky young lad in the care of a lord to a young man who has learned respect and gained respect. He shows courage, ingenuity, and faithfulness to friends both new and old as he navigates the murky waters of Saxon and Norman tensions.

I thoroughly enjoyed listening to this well produced historical fiction account, and the next time someone mentions The Battle of Hastings I might even remember in what century it took place ("story" is the key!). I will note that for those with "sensitive" children, as with all Henty books, there is some form of "violent" adventure that takes place, in this case the sounds of battle, so use some discretion with the recommended age of 6+.


I will also note that in the past we have been given access to Heirloom Productions Study guides and ebooks, but this time we were sent only the physical CD. In my last review of Captain Bayley's Heir, we were given access to the new Live the Adventure Club Website, and you can check that review out to see more details. I can tell you that the Live the Adventure Club includes all the bonus materials you need to expand this two and a half hour CD set into a Unit Study for multiple ages.

Not So Nutty Nitty Gritty 
You can visit Heirloom Audio Productions on their Social Media Channels:
Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram, Google+, and YouTube

Please click the banner below to visit the TOS Homeschool Review Crew and see what others had to say. As always, I hope that this review was useful to you as you choose where best to spend your homeschool budget.
Blessings~
Click to read Crew Reviews
Crew Disclaimer
#hsreviews  #HeirloomAudio #WulfTheSaxon
#LiveTheAdventure  #BringingHentyBack  #AudioAdventures 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for letting me know you were here. I appreciate "thoughtful" comments. :)

Followers

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails