Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Train ~ Bulletproof Picasso Album Review

I had no idea what to expect when I agreed to review the new album BulletProof Picasso, by the group Train, as I'm not a major pop-radio listener. I had very high hopes, considering that Train has been nominated for a Grammy 8 times, and they have been "heralded as a standard bearer of riveting, roots-based pop around the world."

Their most recent album, 2012’s California 37 spawned the hit “Drive By,” among other songs, a multi-platinum single that reached the Top Ten in 13 countries, adding to the prolific Train set-list which already includes multiple hits:
“Drops Of Jupiter (Tell Me)” *Grammy winner
“Meet Virginia” 
“Calling All Angels” 
“Hey Soul Sister” (the #1 hit and biggest selling single of 2010) *Grammy winner

I can say from a general point of view that Train has a fun feel. However, with my particular worldview, lyrically the songs are hit and mostly miss for me, content-wise.
  1. Cadillac Cadillac ~  A little more driving sound than I care for (The video has a cute baby dancing, which doesn't quite jive with the "theme," and I'm not fond of songs that use "d@*&" in their lyrics")
  2. Bulletproof Picasso ~ Didn't love this one even though it has a nice indy-pop feel (uses the word *he##*  ~ again, I don't like swears in the songs I listen to) 
  3. Angel In Blue Jeans ~ Made me think of Hugo Montenegro ~ I really like the feel of this song, but once again, not thematically a family friendly song, which is one of the major things I look for in the music we listen to in our home.
  4. Give It All ~ Oddly reminiscent of Michael Jackson? Nice open feel for portions of it. Content-wise~ "I'd give it all for one more night with you" ~ could be heartfelt for someone who has lost a loved one, but not a message that I want playing on my home stereo, due to other potential connotations. 
  5. Wonder What You're Doing For The Rest Of Your Life ~ Fun, boppy tune~ very catchy little ear-worm.
  6. Son Of A Prison Guard ~ Not a happy song... 
  7. Just A Memory ~ I like the feel of this song but it is really a sad commentary on today's society... ("Come back before you're just a girl I used to know") 
  8. I'm Drinkin' Tonight ~ Another Hugo Montenegro feel (more swearing, and a clearly negative message... "been walking the straight line too long." I didn't realize that was possible...??) 
  9. I Will Remember ~ Leading phrase "Did you ever do Drugs?" I couldn't get past the first 5 lines or so... :/ 
  10. The Bridge ~ This is a bridge that I prefer not be crossed... double entendre ? 
  11. Baby Happy Birthday ~ I had high hopes for a happy song, but it's about someone who missed his "baby's" (aka significant other?) birthday... and "Don't you know that I wish that I could be someone else... someone to depend on..." 
  12. Don't Grow Up So Fast ~ This is one of the best songs from a message POV, the only one that I can say is almost on target with where my family is coming from ~ pretty much the only ballad on the album. It is still a sad song~ "you don't want to know what I know yet" gives the message that the future is not something to look forward to, which is not my perspective, but I do agree with the message to today's girls to not grow up so fast. 
If Train's Bulletproof Picasso sounds like something you want to check out, you can visit Train on the web  at their website, on TwitterYouTube and Facebook.
Bulletproof Picasso can be purchased directly from iTunes or Amazon.


Blessings~






Disclaimer: I participated in the Train Bulletproof Picasso album review program as a member of One2One Network. 
I was provided a free album to review but all opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for letting me know you were here. I appreciate "thoughtful" comments. :)

Followers

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails