Wednesday, October 10, 2018

CashCrunch Careers Survey (What do I want to be when I grow up?)


With an eighteen-year-old in the house, my next review was definitely one of interest, especially as he isn't certain what direction he wants to go in the future. CashCrunch Games has put together an online tool, CashCrunch Careers, using information from the US Department of Labor and corporate recruiting to help answer the questions people might have as they are weighing the pros and cons of higher education and future employment. 

The basic concept is that there are many career options that are suitable for each individual's strengths, but sometimes some of those career options might be overlooked because they don't jump right out at a person. For example, a career in law enforcement doesn't necessarily point only to regular police officer work. Dispatchers, clerical workers, detectives, scientists, and positions like parole officers, which might be considered more social, all fall under that umbrella. 

Because I haven't been in the greater workforce for almost 2 decades, I decided that I would take this CashCrunch Career survey also (high school was a LONG time ago for me... and things (and I) have changed. I figured it would be interesting to see how our results compared as well.

So, the first thing to do once you have an account and are logged in is to take the survey, which is 75 questions long. It's one of those "Choose which of these words best describes you." I honestly don't know anyone who actually enjoys taking these sorts of surveys because they are very difficult to answer, particularly when some of the words seem so closely related.

Here are some examples of the questions in the survey:

Once you've filled out the survey, your report is accessible (for as long as you might need it) to return to and revisit/investigate various employment sectors that might be good fits for you. 

It was rather interesting to see the overlap (but not complete overlap) of both my and my son's results...

My Son's Matches

My Matches



From here you can click on each career area for more definition... This is an example of my #15 match, Food Service Manager. You can see that while there is a much slower than average projected growth in this "Hospitality and Tourism" sector, there is a high projected need of 83,7000 (this is somewhat confusing to me in that there are other career options that are listed as having a faster than average growth, but the projected need is less than 10,000). 







When I clicked on the Hospitality and Tourism link on the left there Food Service Manager was one of thirty-nine possible job descriptions (as were Lodging Manager and Gaming Manager, which also showed up on my list). I also found it rather interesting that 16 of 20 job matches were "managerial positions. I'm not quite sure how I feel about that, but to some degree, it does make sense based on my life experience for the past 20 years. :)

One of the things I would like to see would be the option to take the survey more than one time. I find that sometimes I might want to change some of my answers and see what sort of difference that would make. My son was wondering the same thing. We were also thinking that sometimes it would be nice to have a "neither" or "both equal" option for most of the words, as sometimes it was just very difficult to choose.

CashCrunch Careers is only one of the offerings of CashCrunch Games.
CashCrunch Jr. ($32.50) for ages 5-12 is a physical board game that helps kids think about the value of money.
CashCrunch 101 for ages 13-21 is currently a free online one-player personal finance game.
Personal Finance Bite-Size ($40) is a lesson resource for teaching high school and college finance classes. If you are a SchoolhouseTeachers.com member you can access this course for free from your member dashboard.

Not So Nutty Nitty Gritty 
You can visit CashCrunch Games on their social media pages on FacebookTwitterPinterestInstagram,  YouTube

Please click the banner below to visit the TOS Homeschool Review Crew and see what others had to say. As always, I hope that this review was useful to you as you choose where best to spend your homeschool budget.
Blessings~
Click to read Crew Reviews
Crew Disclaimer
#hsreviews #cte #careers #careerpathway #collegeready #careerreadiness #dreamcareer #dreamjob #careerpossibilities #college #recruitment #changeofcareer

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for letting me know you were here. I appreciate "thoughtful" comments. :)

Followers

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails