Tuesday, October 25, 2011

My First Hands-On Bible (Review)

photo-5I recently received a copy of Tyndale's My First Hands-On Bible from Mama Buzz. I was very pleased when I opened the package to discover a very nice hard-cover Bible Story book just right for my Littlest to claim as his very own. This Bible for kids is intended for preschoolers, aged 3-6,  which is just perfect for him!



One feature that sets this young Bible apart from other  Preschool-Bibles is that the the stories are actual Biblical Text (Abridged from the New Living Translation to provide the most age-appropriate Scripture for Preschoolers). While the NLT is not my preferred translation for regular reading and memorization for older children/adults, I totally appreciate that this makes Scripture more accessible to the youngest listener.

There are some other great features included in this Bible that I have to mention~ I"ll use our latest Sunday School Story to illustrate~ :)


photo-1Handprint activities throughout each story add little "hands-on" activities that littles enjoy. They also help the, to remember the stories more. In this photo my Littlest is pointing to the green handprint that says "cup your hand around your mouth and  say "Moses! Moses!"  The red handprint on the first page says to "'Baa' like one of Moses' sheep."
photo-3
I'm including a picture of the second page, just so that you can get a feel for a complete story ~I'll mention here that I really like the soft color pencil/watercolor illustrations in this book. They suit the age-group very well without being too "cutesy."



photo-2
The last page spread in each story includes some of my favorite features~
  • A "prayer" that personalizes the passage. In this case it says "Dear God, teach us to listen to Your voice. Please help us to obey and go wherever You say to go. In Jesus' name, Amen."
  • A "Let's Talk" section includes questions that continue to help apply the story to your child's life. In Moses and the Burning Bush, you are led to ask "What are some things God wants you to do? When is it hard for you to obey? Why does God want you to obey Him?" Clearly some questions are hard for a real little one to answer, but you can also model some of the answers yourself~ 
  • Two optional activities allow you to review the story later that day, or week~ sometimes they are "Active" and other times "Crafty". There was one of each in this story~ make a "Burning Bush" of your own, and play Simon Says... which illustrates obedience. Fun AND useful! :) 
  • The final feature is "The Jesus Connection" which helps to show that Jesus is "Connected" to ALL Scripture, whether He is mentioned or not. 
All in all, I am very pleased with this Bible Story book, and I'm sure that it will be an important part of the next couple of years for my Littlest.

photo-4Oh, I would be very remiss if I didn't mention Littlest's opinion. He has really enjoyed having his OWN Bible, and I have found him looking through it on his own, beyond our Bible time. He has said that he wants to "Keep this Bible FOREVER!" :)



My First Hands-On Bible is listed for $16.99.  It includes 85 "key" Bible stories and can be purchased  from CBD and Amazon
or other bookstore of your choice.


Blessings~





Disclaimer~ This is a MamaBuzz Media review. The product was provided by Tyndale Publishing for this review. All opinions (Positive and otherwise) are my own. 

Followers

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails