Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Home School in the Woods: Project Passport World History Study: Ancient Egypt

Home School in the Woods is synonymous with gorgeous, detailed artwork, most frequently mentioned in reference to Amy Pak's History Through the Ages Timeline Figures, which I have appreciated from a distance for years. Up close and personal I have enjoyed being on the Great Empires Review in spring 2013, Olde World Style Maps in winter 2010, and one of my favorites, the New Testament Activity Pak in Spring 2009 (I am anxious to do this with my youngest when he's ready for it... maybe this year!).

Yep, I've been doing this review thing for quite some time, and guess what? Amy Pak keeps coming out with new products to enhance your history studies. While her timeline figures can be used with any history curriculum, the Project Passport World History Study: Ancient Egypt (One of three currently available units reviewed by the Homeschool Review Crew) are stand-alone, activity based studies.


Technical Details:

  • For the purposes of review the TOS Review Crew received the download version of this study. I don't know how it works on a Windows machine, but on my MAC the files were accessed via the Safari Browser. I tended to open up the main page, and then open the lesson Text, the Travel Itinerary (Teacher's guide), and the various pages to print for each project. 

Note the tabs across the top.... ;)
_~-~-~__~-~-~__~-~-~__~-~-~__~-~-~__~-~-~__~-~-~__~-~-~__~-~-~__~-~-~__~-~-~_
  • A Printer and a variety of paper and cardstock are required to print the various files and graphics. 
  • Colored Pencils, glue sticks and double stick tape will also become staples when completing a Project Passport study. 
  • There are a few projects that might require something you don't already have in your home, but sometimes there are also alternative materials given (Or you can adjust like we did, and use what you have...). 
Organizing the Project Passport can take a variety of forms. You can print EVERY last file before starting, you can print the pages required for each Itinerary Stop (Lesson) all at once, or as you go. A virtual trophy to the first person who guesses which way I choose to organize. ;) 

One of the best ways for you to get a feel for the scope of what is involved in a Project Passport is to watch this very thorough video produced by Home School in the Woods:










Because my guy is on the very youngest edge of the recommended age range (Grades 3-8), we have definitely been picking and choosing what we do.

For every Itinerary stop
  • I read the text aloud
  • If there is map-work or timeline figures he adds those in. *Side note for the timeline~ I printed the teacher's key, cut out the provided names and he finds them on the key, then glues them on his timeline. 
  • If there is a postcard, Youngest illustrates it with something that has to do with the message on the other side. 
  • The rest of the activities depend on his level, interest, and what is going on in life as we speed through summer activities as a family. There are a few hands-on projects that didn't jive with our schedule (or the weather, depending...) that he would like to attempt at some time, so we may have an end of unit project week... :)  


This is one young lad that likes that big Egyptian "BLiNg" for the Boys! :) 

Once we started doing this unit my Youngest pulled out some young reading material on Egypt (And he knew the answers to some questions before I even asked them, thanks to that reading...), and decided that he wants to build an Egyptian world on MineCraft~
I'll have to get back to you on that.... ;)

A couple more notes~

  • If your kids hate using scissors and glue, they might not enjoy this as much, but if they like to watch *you* use scissors and glue, they can still get a lot out of it. 
  • If your kids *love* scissors and glue and tape, and all things constructive, they'll probably enjoy this, but they might get frustrated (Depending on age) with some of the fine detail~ mom or dad might just have to step in and help once in awhile. 
  • By and large, the majority of the projects are *not* overwhelmingly difficult. 
  • The quality of the product is fantastic, from the graphics to the content to the audio, and the instructions~ just amazing! 
  • One minor constructive criticism~ I wish that some of the project files were offered as continuous page pdf's as well as singly, so that I could choose to use my duplex printing capabilities when the project calls for double-sided pages... I find that option much easier. However, I'll deal with removing, flipping, and printing if I have to. ;) 
  • Whenever my kids do a hands on project from Amy Pak and Home School in the Woods, the materials stick with them (And I *don't* mean the glue sticks!). They remember them for years. :) 

Not So Nutty Nitty Gritty 
You can visit the following Home School in the Woods Social Media pages: 

Please click the banner below to visit the TOS Review Crew and see what others had to say. As always, I hope that this review was useful to you as you choose where best to spend your homeschool budget.
Blessings~



Click to read Crew Reviews
Crew Disclaimer

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for letting me know you were here. I appreciate "thoughtful" comments. :)

Followers

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails