Monday, March 16, 2009

Home School in the Woods - New Testament Activity-Pak

Have you heard of Home School in the Woods ? Well, I had heard of them, and even downloaded a sample pack at some point, but as is sometimes the case with a "sample", I didn't "get to it".

Well, I am very pleased that through the TOS Crew, I *did* "get to" their complete New Testament Activity-Pak ! (BTW, Pak is not misspelled... it is for Amy Pak, the brains and the artistic hands behind the beautiful, vintage-style graphics in all of the Home School in the Woods products)

I have been greatly pleased with the "hands-on" opportunity to help some major points of the New Testament "stick" in my kids' heads. The combination of the scripture on the graphics, coloring them in, cutting them out, and putting each component together is great for all types of learners.

Now, I have to be sure to mention that there are no "lesson plans" included in this Activity Pak, so you may want to use them piece by piece as each project comes up in your Bible Study. OR you could choose to focus on the Pak as a whole, and do a unit study on the New Testament, covering those portions highlighted in the Pak. Particular pieces lend themselves well to helping with scripture memorization. (The Beatitudes strikes me as one...) This Pak is also great for those who study their history in a "classical" fashion~ Just add them into your study of that time period!

The topics covered in the New Testament Activity Pak are:
  • The Lineage from David to Jesus
  • The Birth of Jesus Christ
  • Miracles of Jesus
  • The Beatitudes
  • Fruit of the Spirit
  • The Parables of Jesus
  • The Last Supper
  • The Crucifixion
  • The Resurrection
  • The Ascension
  • Pentecost
  • Prophesies Fulfilled
  • The Twelve Disciples
  • Paul's Missionary Journeys
  • Postcards from Paul
  • A Newspaper Project (The New Testament News), which is a great Creative Writing Project
  • And an Armor of Salvation Poster project.
It is interesting to note how the brain works. My oldest was coloring the pictures for the Beatitudes "pizza book" while I was reading aloud to her and my middlest. Even a week or two later, looking at the book, she remembers what I was reading about when she was coloring. (Note to self... the time-line figures would be better options for her to color, when I'm reading history!) ;)

Oh, and about that "Pizza book", the directions are a little tricky, if you haven't done much "minit" book making, or lapbooking. We didn't have too much trouble, but part of that is because I had already checked out the "Pizza Book Kit" from Tobin's Lab that The Old Schoolhouse is offering in their freebie directory . While you are scrolling down to find the Tobin's Lab be sure to check out the Mini Authors Activity-Pak from Homeschool in the Woods! That will certainly give you a feel for the quality that you can expect from Amy Pak!

The New Testament Activity-Pak is available for immediate download for $18.95, or you can order it on CD for $19.95. There are two other Activity-Paks available, one for the Old Testament, and an Artists Activity-Pak that I can see would keep us busy for quite some time! :)

The ages recommended for these Paks are 3rd-8th grade. I would caution that some projects are better for younger, and some will be a bit more challenging for the olders. Depending on your children, and their ages, your help *may* be required for "construction" purposes. ;) They will ALL be beautiful, though!

Now, I hope you will visit some of my fellow TOS crew mates and their blogs~ some of them have some really wonderful pictures of their kids' work on this Pak (my digital camera woes are many, so I have no photos...). If you only have time to visit one, hop on over to Susan's Blog~ because Susan already owned the New Testament Activity-Pak, Amy Pak kindly agreed to let her bless someone with a give-away-drawing on her blog for the same.(The drawing ends on April 3rd... better hope that baby is either early or late, Susan!)

Blessings~
Lis

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for letting me know you were here. I appreciate "thoughtful" comments. :)

Followers

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails