Monday, June 17, 2013

Memoria Press: Geography I


My Middlest got a review of his own to enjoy~ Geography I by Memoria Press , a pack of 5 softcover books~ a Teacher Guide (mostly an answer key), a Student Text and a Student Workbook that cover The Middle East, North Africa, and Europe. Included as a bonus are The United States Student Text and Teacher Key (Which we did not use for this review, but based on response, are likely to use!).

Middlest enjoyed the format of the Student Text~ which is really an "Introduction to Geography" that can be used with children from 4th grade on up.
You can download the table of contents from the Geography I page along with some  samples (I'm including screenshots of a couple, to give you an idea of what it looks like inside).



It includes "the facts" that I remember from my geography lessons as a child

  • Location (Up close on a map on the facing page)
  • Capital City
  • Major Cities
  • Language
  • Population
  • Religion
  • Landforms
  • Bodies of Water
  • Climate
  • Resources (My Middlest's favorite fun fact)
  • Flag

But that isn't all!



History's Headlines gives an overview of some of
the more important historical facts for each country. This is a feature that *I* particularly appreciate. My son thought it was pretty neat to read this, right alongside the
Tour of Today, which gives a glimpse into the current condition/climate (Political and social, both).

One of his favorite features, is that he wasn't required to spend a vast amount of time on each country (Just an introduction, remember), but he felt that he gained a fair amount of knowledge for the time invested. He was surprised to learn about the terrain of countries that he had regularly heard mentioned (like Iraq and Afghanistan), as he had a different picture in his head of what they looked like.

Middlest pretty much works through this on his own (He is a young 7th grader/rising 8th grader), but was very pleased to bring his workbook down to me when he had filled in the review map of the 10 Middle Eastern countries he had studied (Although he didn't color them in~ he's a black and white kind of kid, I guess... ;) ).

To sum up his opinion, he said that this is one of those things (that I am not requiring) that he wants to work on through the summer and finish, because it is fun, and he enjoys learning about different parts of the world.

I think that this would be a great addition to any homeschool that hasn't really covered a lot of geography, as it give a solid (in my opinion) introduction, and can be the beginning of a life-long interest in the world beyond our small corner.

Not So Nutty Nitty Gritty 
  • Company: Memoria Press 
  • Product: Geography I
  • Ages: 4th-8th grade
  • Price: $48 for all 5 books (Also available for individual purchase)
Please click the banner below to visit the TOS Review Crew and see what others had to say. As always, I hope that this review was useful to you as you choose where best to spend your homeschool budget.
Blessings~



Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for letting me know you were here. I appreciate "thoughtful" comments. :)

Followers

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails