Friday, October 5, 2012

What do you know about Salt? (Box of Ideas)






 Now, here is a really nifty item that the TOS Review Crew was sent~ a box of ideas! In a world where we are often told to "think outside the box," I am really appreciating all the thought that has gone "into" this particular box! But what exactly am I talking about?

Box of IDEAs is a company dedicated to creating delightful interactive learning modules centered around random subject areas.

Some of the boxes include more typical homeschooling topics: WWII Homefront, WWII Pearl Harbor, WWII Innovations, Civil War Overview, and Light and Optics. Some of the more random topics would be Eleven, Salt, Laundry and Quilting. There are many other "Boxes" being planned~ check the website! .


Various TOS Review Crew members received World War Two: Pearl Harbor in either PDF or Printed, or Salt in PDF or Printed. I received the print/physical version of SALT. What a neat box of ideas! My box came with 10 large ziplock bags, each one containing everything needed to explore a module in the Salt Box of Ideas.

Some of the modules were perfect for a quick introduction to the topic of Salt (And why on earth we'd even want to study it), and others involve a little more time (freezing various solutions for instance). I loved that there was enough information included in each module to create a thirst for more knowledge about the subject.

This is an enrichment study that can take a minimal amount of time, but there are options for digging much deeper. In addition to the information included in each module there are links to various websites for further research and suggestions for activities to extend the learning. Each module also contains a "portfolio sheet" for your child to fill out, and there is a quiz and SAT-style essay (for the older students) included for when you've completed the entire box. Oh, and I have to mention that I love the easy packaging in the ziploc bags~ so portable ~ easy to grab one to bring along on a trip to the park, the library, or to visit family ~ there are enough games included that your children just might educate your parents! :D

We spent one evening learning about the "Language" of salt~ discovering how many phrases, place names and words originate with the word for salt in a variety of languages. The activity included in this module included a set of 24 cards~ to be placed face up (one set had a larger border, so that we could differentiate between the word or phrase and the definition of that word ). The task, then was to try to match them up. If they were correctly matched the type of salt pictured and the border color on the back of the card will be the same. We were all somewhat amazed at the variety of words related to salt that were traced back to Roman Soldiers!

One of the activities that we are waiting to do is related to the building of the Great Wall of China. I am intrigued by this one.... I have no idea what salt has to do with that, other than perhaps helping to fund it? I'm waiting to discover that with my children and another family that we hope are interested in the topic as well. :)

There are a number of geography related modules, as well as health and nutrition activities(Menu planning anyone? The physical version of this kit included a laminated menu planning chart complete with dry-erase marker~ you can see it in the top middle of this photo).

I am impressed with the "grab it and go" aspect of these enrichment activities. I've seen the phrase used many times, but few succeed in implementing it quite as well as .

Not So Nutty Nitty Gritty 
Please click the banner below to visit the TOS Review Crew and see what others had to say, particularly if you are interested in the differences between the PDF version and the Physical Product version. As always, I hope that this review was useful to you as you choose where best to spend your homeschool budget.
Blessings~
Photobucket
Disclaimer: I received this/these item(s)/service for free as part of the TOS Review Crew Program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."

1 comment:

  1. This looks so cool! My son would absolutely LOVE it! So would I!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for letting me know you were here. I appreciate "thoughtful" comments. :)

Followers

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails