Thursday, August 24, 2017

Everyday Cooking provides quick recipes for impromptu party

 

I love cookbooks and cooking, but as a busy homeschooling mamma, I know that sometimes it's difficult to get the schooling done, along with the inevitable interruptions that seem to happen when you're "at home", and still get meals on the table every day. That's why I appreciated being able to review Everyday Homemaking's
Everyday Cooking by Vicki Bentley, and share a bit of our experience with you.

Side note: I've had the pleasure of attending a homeschool support group leaders' seminar where Vicki Bentley was the main speaker. She is an experienced homeschool veteran, who has a handle on the challenges of the homeschooling mother, how to meet them and feel (and be) successful. It's just possible that sometimes the simple (?) ability to feed your family with real food, made at home, will be the one thing that salvages one of the days when nothing seems to go as planned. OK, guess I'm waxing philosophical a bit here... on with the review. ;)


We received the e-book version of Everyday Cooking, other Crew members received a physical copy of the book.  One of the first things I do when I peruse a new cookbook is check out the Table of Contents.
You can see that this is a book dedicated to helping make sure that there are meals on the table throughout the day, from breakfast to dessert after dinner. Interspersed throughout are little gray boxes with tips and hints and additional suggestions~ one of the things that differentiates one cookbook from another~ these personalize the book, which is one of my favorite things.

The first couple of pages offer a number of general time saving and money saving tips ~ Vicki Bentley is a expert in sharing efficiency and common sense ideas with her readers, and most of the sections have their fair share of more of the same, but geared towards the particular topic, whether breakfast, or appetizers, etc... These aren't fancy-schmancy, but *mostly* recipes with good, wholesome ingredients (there are a few that aren't quite as good for you, but are certainly yummy sounding!)

Vicki covers a number of styles of cooking, from home-made bread-baking to using the newer Instant Pot Pressure Cooker. The latter is not something I'll find in any of my older cookbooks, but it is one of my most used gadgets these days, so I love that she included recipes and tips for its use!

There are a number of pages towards the end of the book (before the Instant Pot pages), with additional hints, helps, "mix" recipes, shopping list and menu planning helps, and even a sample mini-unit that Vicki used with her kids as part of a home economics course, with more information on how to create a full home economics credit course.

Alright, so when it comes down to it, which recipes did I choose to actually USE for this review? Well, life has been wild and crazy this summer, and due to circumstances beyond out control my daughter didn't have occasion to bid a number of friends farewell before she leaves for college, so I ended up throwing her a *very* spontaneous (24 hour notice) get-together for as many people who could make it. Because of the time-frame, I didn't know for sure if we would even end up having a gathering, but once I had received enough positive responses, I had to kick it into high gear to provide some snacks.

Everyday Cooking to the rescue of the harried homeschool, get-the-girl-to-college, mom!
Vicki's recipes are generally intended to be relatively quick, and I was pleased to discover a twist on chocolate chip cookies that took MUCH less time than dropping and cooking a few separate trays...

and a sugar cookie recipe that could be rolled immediately, without waiting for it to chill... woohoo!!! This is DEFNITELY coming out again for many future holidays~ I have soooo many fun cookie cutters that haven't been put to use!



In about 2 hours I had some party-worthy treats ready to share


They not only looked pretty, they tasted yummy, too! No leftovers to bring home...

I kid you not... the very last butterfly cookie was demolished in the car on the ride to youth group! 
But somebody really hoped there would be...
All the poor dog wants is a crumb! (or maybe more... ;)) 
Vicki is offering a 10% discount off Everyday Cooking and/or The Everyday Family Chore System for Homeschool Review Crew readers... The code is TOS10books, and can be applied to as many books in your card as you like. You need to add the books to the cart first, then apply the 10% code last (eccentric cart function)  Expires September

Not So Nutty Nitty Gritty 
Visit Everyday Homemaking on Facebook , and please click the banner below to visit the TOS Homeschool Review Crew and see what others had to say about this and the Every Day Family Chore System.


As always, I hope that this review was useful to you as you choose where best to spend your homeschool budget.
Blessings~
Click to read Crew Reviews
Crew Disclaimer
#hsreviews  #homemaking #chores

3 comments:

  1. I'm so glad the cookbook helped rescue your party! I bake my bar cookies in that same pan you have -- works great! And if you make the roll-out cookies for the holidays, you HAVE to try the cookie icing recipe below it -- yummy and easy! We do a cookie decorating party each year with about 40-50 kids, so I bake the cookies in advance, then put out bowls of that icing with 1" paintbrushes, and they "paint" the icing on (works great for preschoolers!). You can see more on that at my blog. Thanks so much for the review, and I'd love to see what else you make!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Does the icing dry hard? I'll have to try that~ we like to ice our cookies white and let the icing harden, then use food coloring diluted in milk to "watercolor" on the cookies~ a variation on the theme. ;)

      Delete
  2. Just realized the one on the blog is the family baking day...here's one for a group: https://www.hslda.org/earlyyears/Newsletters/12-16-2015.asp

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for letting me know you were here. I appreciate "thoughtful" comments. :)

Followers

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails