While I am a self-avowed Curriculum Junkie, we always enjoy it when the TOS Review Crew is sent something extra fun for review. How delightful that our last review for the 2014 run was just that. We were sent Snake Oil ~ Party Potion (for ages 8 and up), a product of Out of the Box Games (other crew members received the original Snake Oil game for ages 10+, so be sure to check out the link at the end of my review to see how these games were received in their homes).
The basic premise is that there is a “Customer” and there are “Snake Oil Salesmen” (with the customer rotating throughout the round till everyone has had a turn). The customer draws a customer card and chooses to be the character on either side. The Salesmen (Everyone else) draw 6 cards each and choose to use 2 cards to create a product that they will pitch to the customer.
Here is an entertaining little video that introduces the game and how to play:
The game can be played with 3-6 players, or adapted to group play game-show style, with a host, 3 contestants (salesmen), and an audience. We personally felt it worked best with at least 4 players. There was a handful of cards that we decided to remove from the deck since we're not fond of gross humor in our house (potty, snot, pimple, butt) and a couple others (skull, spirit) that didn't fit with us well. Also, for some of my readers who stay away from wizards and magic, there are customer cards that include those characters, but they can be avoided easily enough.
We enjoyed playing out of the box, and all over the room (the couch, the rocking chair, the desk...), which didn't make for very good picture taking opportunities, but I did record a somewhat edited transcript of some of the rounds so you can get a feel for the game. I am going to list the customers and the products that were being pitched to. You can decide which product you would have chosen as the winner. I will list the winners below my disclaimer in this post, and you can see if your choices match our customers. The participants in this record were Mom, Eldest (17), Middlest (14), and Youngest (7).
- Smile Sponge ~ When you wipe the table, your customers will be guaranteed to smile, and less than 10% tips will be a thing of the past.
- Jar Locker~ Holds everything on the plate, so you never need to worry about dropping any plates when your tray is filled to overflowing.
- Tummy Chair~ Releases chemicals that create space in the tummy, so your customers will always have room for dessert.
- Volcano Grave~ If you’re at a volcano that is erupting, you can use the Volcano Grave to ‘Bury” the eruption.
- Memory Ribbon~ Will help Grandmas remember memories~ rub the ribbon while thinking of something, and when you touch it later, the memory will return.
- Yarn Security~ Insurance for your yarn~ will replace your yarn if it gets stolen, lost, or damaged by an act of God.
- Forest Puddle ~ A private Puddle in the Forest, where the largest bass are found more easily, because there is less acreage for them to hide in.
- Video Coat~ A coat that plays videos, for when you’re sitting around doing nothing while you’re fishing.
- Spider Escape~ A spray that will eliminate any spider you run into on the path, on the shore, or in your boat.
- Peace Dust~ Sprinkle it on to calm your nerves before your competition.
- Trail Putty ~ to fix the spots that might be broken or rough (or missing manhole covers on the way to the event venue...).
- Tickle Tub ~ to distract your dog when it’s taking a bath. (?)
School Bus Driver
- Victory Slipper~ Wear it so your favorite athlete or team will win!
- Fact Rug~ for the aisle of your bus~ It will help to avoid spill and slips and falls and bruises, but not only that, it is educational~ it will help the students on your bus learn their mathematical, grammatical, geographical, and any other ical fact they may need on the way to school. AND not only that, it will so entertain your students that they will be quite as mice.
- Guilt Pants~ for the misbehaving children on the bus, that don’t always tell the truth (Liar, Liar, Pants on Fire?) These are pants that you put on the child (like snowpants), and they will tell you the truth!
Littlest: I love playing Snake Oil because it’s fun
Middlest: This is a really great game. It makes people think and be creative. This would be a fun game for Youth Group!
Eldest: Snake Oil is entertaining to watch people play, but it isn’t great for the literalist.
Mom: Snake Oil is a fun, easy to learn game that helps to promote creativity, and encourage public speaking skills when played with theatrical expression. Out of the Box Games even offers some extra "Classroom activities" for 5th grade+ to expand on those themes~ I like having more options, and it makes me feel better about having the occasional game days. :)
Not So Nutty Nitty Gritty
- Company: Out of the Box Games
- Product: Snake Oil ~ Party Potion
- Ages: 8 (or early readers) to adult
- Price: $14.99
Please click the banner below to visit the TOS Review Crew and see what others had to say about Snake Oil - Party Potion and the Original Snake Oil games. As always, I hope that this review was useful to you as you choose where best to spend your homeschool budget.
*NEWSFLASH* This is my last TOS Review Crew for the 2014 calendar year, and it marks my 250th Review for the TOS Review Crew since it started in 2008. Milestone worth mentioning... :)
Waitress~ Jar Locker
Grandma ~ Yarn Security
Fisherman ~ Forest Puddle
Olympic Athlete ~ Trail Putty
School Bus Driver ~ Fact Rug
How did these choices stack up against your choices?