Thursday, October 17, 2013

The Sky Beneath My Feet by Lisa Samson

I have friends who rave about Lisa Samson and her writing, so I was pleased to be given the opportunity to read one of her books via a free e-book download from Booksneeze.

The Sky Beneath My Feet is a quirky read, with a cast of characters that could potentially be part of any neighborhood, because, let's face it, nobody is "normal."

Lisa doesn't sugar-coat her characters, and she allows them to show their real, human, flawed nature. Gone is the myth of the "perfect ministry couple."

Beth is a youth pastor's wife, striving to be her husband's helpmeet, but he makes it difficult, when he decides to hole up, like a hermit, in the back yard for 3 weeks during their vacation. Beth is confused (I would be too... I mean, really???), hurt, and trying to figure out what her role is supposed to be. Her son is experimenting with drugs. By and large, she is not living out the "perfect" life that many people assume comes with the job of "pastor," but rather struggling with all things common to humanity, set in our present age, and she learns to respond with grace and humility.

Publisher's Book Description:

Being married to a saint isn't what it's cracked up to be.

Beth's husband won't be joining the family on vacation at the beach this year. He's not even joining them in the house. Instead, Rick has holed up alone in the backyard shed. Nobody knows exactly what he's up to. Maybe he's immersing himself in prayer. Maybe he's lost his mind. Maybe he's even the modern-day prophet or the saint the neighborhood artist imagines him to be. But while "St. Rick" waits for an epiphany, Beth will have to figure out what to do with herself and their teenage sons, possibly for the rest of her life.
What happens next is both uproarious and bittersweet: a peace march turns violent, her son is caught with drugs, and she embarks on an ambitious road trip that turns into something nearly surreal. Will Beth rediscover the idealistic woman she used to be, once upon a time? Can her marriage survive Rick's backyard vigil? Will anything ever be the same? And should it be?
Truthful, comic, heartbreaking, and magical in the very best sense of the word, The Sky Beneath My Feetgently tears the veil off our egos and expectations to reveal the throbbing, redemptive, and achingly beautiful life beyond and within us.
You can purchase The Sky Beneath My Feet directly from Thomas Nelson, CBD, and other booksellers, including through my Amazon link below. It is available in paperback and Kindle versions.




Blessings~

Disclaimer: I received this/these item(s)/service for free as part of the Booksneeze  Review Program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for letting me know you were here. I appreciate "thoughtful" comments. :)

Followers

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails