We were chosen to review Uncover Exciting History. The short description from the Publisher's website says that Uncover Exciting History is "Revealing America’s Christian Heritage in Short, Easy-to-Read Nuggets" in 184 pages.
There are stories of patriots and events that are well known as well as those that may be lesser known, but equally worth learning about.
To give you a sense of what is included, here is the Table of Contents
- Christ Bearer: Christopher Columbus 1
- Settling the New World 7
- The Lost Colony of Roanoke 13
- The Pilgrims’ Legacy 19
- The Great Awakening 25
- The French and Indian War: The Struggle for Mastery of North America 31
- Freedom Founded 37
- Crossing the Delaware: A Turning Point of the Revolution 43
- The Making of a Republic: The Story of the Constitution 49
- To Kentucky and Beyond: America Begins the Push Westward 55
- To the Shores of Tripoli: The Barbary Coast Wars 61
- The Lewis & Clark Expedition 67
- Miracle at New Orleans 73
- The Second Great Awakening 79
- Daniel Webster: Defender of the Constitution 85
- The Mexican War: America Expands in the Southwest 91
- The Oregon Trail: Road to the American Promised Land 97
- The Pony Express: Uniting the East and West 103
- A Tale of Two Generals: Biographies of General Lee & General Grant 109
- The Spanish American War 117
- The Klondike Gold Rush 123
- The Great War: America in the First World War 129
- The Legacy of Alvin York: American Hero of the First World War 135
- The Great Depression 141
- The Navajo Code Talkers 147
- The Hand That Rocks the Cradle: Mothers Who Changed the World Through Their Children 155 Medieval Explorer: Marco Polo 163
- Evangelistic Explorer: David Livingstone 169
- Daring Explorer of Antarctica: Robert Falcon Scott 175
- The stories and people that were featured and mentioned~ made *me* interested in learning more about some of them.
- The Christian worldview presented in each chapter presents the firm foundation our country was built upon before God was taken out of the equation in some of the more revisionist textbooks.
- The availability of the book in a variety of electronic formats (pdf, epub, and mobi) as well as printed and audio.
- The Dig Deeper portions at the end of each chapter that help to solidify and/or extend the learning.
- While the stories were good, the writing felt a little "Choppy" to us. There were not great transitions between paragraphs~ seeming to jump from topic to topic within the chapters, so that I occasionally felt more like I was reading a series of interesting encyclopedia entries aloud to my children rather than a narrative (not quite what I expected).
- To go along with that, sometimes the phrasing seemed a little archaic~ However, if you are used to reading to your children from older literature (written more in the 18th and 19th centuries), this won't come across as odd.
- I felt that there was information included that doesn't seem terribly relative to the topic. For instance, in the chapter entitled "To the Shores of Tripoli", we are introduced to a number of naval commanders. One of them appears to have been rather uninspiring, and was therefore only mentioned 3 times. In fact, he was only afforded one complete sentence: "Captain Samuel Barron lacked initiative and also suffered greatly from a liver problem." I just wasn't sure what the liver problem had to do with the man's naval career....???
Not So Nutty Nitty Gritty
My basic feeling is that the stories bring out some of those 'nuggets' of history that might not be so obvious to today's mainstream culture, but can have a huge impact if more people know about them. Uncover Exciting History is one of those books that could inspire you and/or your children to look into some of our history on a deeper level. However, "great literature" it is not.
- Company: Golden Prairie Press
- Product: Uncover Exciting History
- Ages: Read aloud Elementary, independent reading Middle School and up
- Price: Regularly $14.95. On sale through September 1 for 20% off ($11.96)
Heroines of the Past Bible Study e-book
Ten Girls from History e-book
Costumes with Character e-book
As always, I hope that this review was useful to you as you choose where best to spend your homeschool budget.